Friday 25 December 2015

What the military can teach teachers


The recent announcement about the extension and beefing up of the 'Troops to Teachers' programme has galvanised me into writing this post.
I'm not a military man per se (though those who know me will get that my rather stiff walk leads many to assume that I do have some sort of military background!)
I have however had a long and very rewarding association with various branches of the military. I was a CCF cadet at school and, inspired by the formidable John Ing, flirted for some time with the idea of joining the Royal Marines. But, having failed to get a Royal Marines scholarship whilst still at school (sour grapes), I turned my attention to the Irish Guards and throughout most of my time at university had every intention of signing up as soon as I'd finished my studies. I joined the 3rd (TA) Bn Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters whilst I was at Nottingham and had earnt my commission by the time my degree came to an end. The three weeks I spent at Sandhurst on the weekend warriors' version of the commissioning course were as formative as any other 21 day period I can recall having had before or since.
In the end, the imminent arrival of my (now 16-year-old) daughter persuaded me that signing for a bachelor life of mess high-jinx and months abroad would be irredeemably selfish. I enrolled on the Nottingham PGCE instead and the rest, as they say, is history. 
But I've kept close connections with the military. For a short while I commanded a TA Platoon in Canley, Coventry until my Saturday school commitments made continuing to do so unworkable. And I have now clocked up over 16 years' continuous service as a CCF officer. During that time I've seen a lot of military-style instruction, both good and bad. Here though are some of the good bits:
Mnemonics - or more accurately acrostic phrases - are bread and butter in the military. Soldiers seem to have them for everything, and with good reason - they are a marvellous little device for remembering key facts. Teachers don't use them enough. A while ago I devised several for remembering various geological eras, but I should devise more; so should we all.
The 3 part lesson Sandhurst style. Someone told me many years ago that military trainers are taught: 'Tell then what you're going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you've just told them'. Marvellously simple, and it works. If you watch a skilful expositor they almost always do it - repetition is a key aspect of deep internalisation.
Commando spirit. I've whinged elsewhere about jobsworths; and we've all encountered pupils who lack a bit of backbone. They could do worse than be referred to the four elements of what the Royal Marines call the 'commando spirit' - a great code to live by:
  • Courage 
  • Determination 
  • Unselfishness 
  • Cheerfulness in the face of adversity
In conditions and at times of day when most teachers would be inclined to pack it in, military trainers don't - there's something for us to learn from that.
The CCF had a narrow escape from the Chancellor's axe last year. Thank heavens it survived because I think pupils and teachers have a huge amount to learn from the military life, whether or not they end up having any longer-term connection with it. 
I close with the final verse of one of my favourite school songs. 'Young Brown' has overcome a series of setbacks until:
And now he’s in a Regiment a-fighting for the Crown,
And soon he’ll be a K.C.B. and Major-General Brown.
So listen all, both great and small, and may there be some more
To rally round to the bugle-sound, and join the Rifle Corps! 

Share: